Friday 25 September 2015

25th September 1915


Leane's trench (alongside which the 7th Battery guns were located), as seen from
Sniper's Ridge (on which the 7th Battery fired) - one of a series of photographs taken
on the Gallipoli Peninsula under the direction of Captain C. E. W. Bean of the
Australian Historical Mission, during the months of February and March, 1919.



Saturday 25th 

A nice day. Just a little cool Zephyr blowing. We have a demonstration against the Turkish positions late in the evening. There was a tremendous fusilade of bullets & shells for about 2 hours etc.










Sept. 25
(Lieutenant Sydney Francis Hodgens, temporary O/C 7th Battery)

10.45 Observed that communication trench E. of SNIPERS RIDGE had been improved Sq. 68-B-6.

1320 No. 3 gun fired 6 rds. P.S. at small gun emplacement on SNIPERS RIDGE - Sq. 68-B-8 destroying parapets rebuilt during night of 24/25 Sept. (Range 760x) and 5 rds. P.S. at crest of PLATEAU 400, N. end of SURPRISE GULLY (Range 950x) destroying portion of parapets.  Noth series in retaliation for Turkish gun firing on LONESOME PINE.

16.30 Small party of Turks observed working on GUN RIDGE, Sq. 68-O-1.

17.30 Party of about 30 Turks (unarmed) - apparently working party seen moving at 48-N-5.



[Author's Note: the 25th of September reigns in the 1 year Anniversary of
the 3rd Field Artillery Brigade's, & 7th Battery's, departure from Brisbane
on board the A22 Rangatira.  In remembrance, the below was written by 1609
Gunner Wilfred Percy Stenner, a 7th Battery original, after a year's deployment
from Australia - as published in the Daily Standard on the 17th November, 1915.]



Following are extracts from a letter received by Mr. G. H. Price, Auchenflower, from his brother-in-law, Percy Stenner, on active service at Gallipoli, as No. 2 gunner, 7th Battery, Field Artillery, A.I.F.: "I have been away from good old Queensland one year, and am pleased to say have never had a day's sickness other than a slight cold, not even sea sickness. Also, I have escaped all the Turkish delight (shells and bullets). On August 27 they nearly got me with a 6in shell, which exploded and buried me in sand bags. When I was dug out I found neither myself nor the gun had been injured, although a piece of shell 6in x 4in was found under the seat of No. 1 gunner. Don't worry about me. I am quite used to shells and bullets now. I have been doing gun laying duty lately and giving the Turks a bit of Australian delight. We have just had a tea of Jappatties and jam. They are like pancakes, flour, and water fried in fat, and are quite a luxury after the continuous menu of biscuit and jam. Don't worry about my parcels. I have received all. Am sorry I cannot use the soap. We only get one bottle of fresh water per man per day, so can't use that for washing. All that work is done in salt water. I have received all letters pretty regular, and every 'Daily Standard' since April. When I finish them they go to my mates, and are passed round till they fall to pieces. I am doing my little bit to force the   Narrows, and hope we will succeed soon."





  




 

No comments:

Post a Comment