Wednesday 15 April 2015

15th April 1915



The hilltop windmills of Lemnos, April 1915.


15th Thursday

Still waiting for orders. Nothing of consequence to day except we lowered a boat & our mad captain had to vist another ship with Dr Marks for beds. He kept us pulling about around ships in a strong head wind & most of us doing a quiet bit of tall swearing. I'm feel I'm getting awfully regimental in duties assigned to me etc. I also feel I'm getting a bit dirty.

We are here now over a week & we only get a wash when we sneak it. Salt water is available but you can guess how this cleans you. I have also had to sleep in my clothes since I left Mena & this is something new for me to do for such a long period. A Rumour - probably a latrine type states Turkey is sueing for peace & has been given 8 days. It has caused a lot of discussion as to whether we shall get in a shot against her.



Thursday 15th April

Boat crews operating all day. I went out with a party at 9.30 for Mudros Village. Passed a "tow" consisting of horses and guns from 8th Battery who were landing. They are I understand to be first ashore when business begins. Mudros Village is a very quaint place, and apparently very old. I walked through the village, thence along a road for 3 miles round the shore where our Artillery and Infantry were practising landings, from which spot my boat picked me up.

The country is fairly extensively cultivated, wheat and oat crops about 12" high and look extremely pretty, for millions of scarlet Shirley poppies and a small variety of blue pea are scattered all over the fields.

On the hillsides numerous mills are to be seen. Built of rubble masonry about 20’ in diameter and about 25 feet high, they are fitted with a huge frame, carrying sails, which are set whenever the wind blows or there is grain to grind. These frames activate a crank shaft which in turn operates mill stones. They look very quaint indeed.

I passed several small flocks of sheep, each with its shepherdess and the proverbial crooked stick. Sheep appear almost like small Angora goats with their long silky coats, and every second sheep carries a bell, so that in approaching a flock of sheep one hears a strange musical effect.

There are several villages around the shores of the bay. I should like to get inland and look at the Capital. The Harbour is very lively today. More Transports have come in, and naval pinnaces are all over the place, towing boat loads of soldiers. I should dearly love for Charley to be transferred to this station. I could then hope to see something of him. I think I shall try the Admiral.

No comments:

Post a Comment