Sunday 20 March 2016

20th March 1916


Looking out over the tents of Tel-el-Kebir camp, early 1916.


Monday 20th March

Col. Christian and myself called on Gen. Sellheim re transfer of L.H. to two new Artillery Divisions. Handed him complete nominal rolls and all papers. There should now be no further hitch. Gen. Howse told me he had 50 AMC. drivers at Tel el Kebir who desired to transfer to Artillery and asked me to take them. On return to camp at midday I found 1st Brigade getting ready to move off, and they actually left about midnight. Shooting during the day, my young officers being present. Dined with Gen. Cox. Discussed a good many details of training etc. He approved my sending in Hobson’s name for a Commission.

The Prince of Wales is to inspect the camp on Wednesday. Gen. McKay who is to command the 5th Division arrives tomorrow. Saw General Bates in Cairo regarding horses for 4th Div Arty. Not much chance at present of getting suitable type.














No comments:

Post a Comment