Saturday 7 February 2015

7th February 1915


The 2nd Light Horse Brigade, where Billy's brother Jim was stationed,
striking camp in place of the 1st Light Horse, Maadi.


Mena Camp
Sunday February 7 1915

Had leave from 2 pm till 11 pm, a cobber and I went over to the Light Horse camp at Heliopolis and I happened to strike Jim in camp but my mate wasn’t so lucky, his brother who come over in the 2nd contig. had just gone to Cairo so he went to Cairo on the chance of meeting him and was going to meet me at the Grand Continental at 7.30.  Jim’s horse had trod in a hole the day before and was lame.  He is a fine beast.  I think their horses are much better than ours.  Jim and I had a bit of supper at Canteen and came into Cairo; he lent me his camera and I am going to take some photos of the Pyramids for him.  We hunted round the kodaks for some films but could not get the right size.  They will have some in less than a week.  We met my mate at 7.30 and he hadn’t struck his brother but after a while his brother came slap bang into him.  We met a chap from the 2nd Contig. at Nardi and he said he knew Currie.  After a squiz round, the mate and I came home by tramcar.  We went in by motor, 2/- each.



Sunday 7th February

Visited Cairo, Maadi Camp and Heliopolis. Maadi camp which is a few miles from Cairo along the Banks of the Nile is certainly a miserable spot, not nearly as nice as Mena, but alongside are numerous fine residences and the owners have been very good to our Light Horse officers, practically giving them entrĂ©e to their homes at any time for use of hot baths. At Heliopolis I saw some magnificent residences, including one of the Sultan’s palaces.

Incidentally, on the way to Heliopolis (where reinforcements are camped) I saw the Turkish prisoners from the Canal. When I got to camp at 5.30 PM I found Harry waiting to see me. He has come out with the Second Contingent. He told me of the trouble at Gordon. I gave him dinner. He left about 8PM. 







No comments:

Post a Comment