Tuesday 3 February 2015

3rd February 1915



Men of the 3rd Field Artillery Brigade enjoying some downtime
at Mena Camp, in a photo captioned, `Going, Going, Gone, or What
Happened to the Gyppo Thieves' (Gyppo being a slang contraction
used by the Australian troops for Egyptians).

Mena Camp
Wednesday February 3 1915 

We got up at 6.30 this morning and watered and fed the horses then had our grub.  I was told off again as cook’s mate.  It is a very good job.  The Batteries came in again about 11 p.m. and said they had a great time of it last night.  We are to be payed this morning.  I drew 73 piastres = 15/2 and the 2MS told me I wouldn’t get anymore till some time in March and that I would have to go easy with it.  As luck would have it I got a back debt of 45 piastres from Sgt. G. this afternoon and I had 20 piastres so I have about 135 piastres to last me till March.  I have 50 p.t. coming to me from a cobber so I am pretty right.  Sgt. G., has found in Cairo some long lost relations with plenty of brass and he is as pleased as punch.  They are sending their motor car out for him next Sat so good luck to him.  The 7th and 8th Battalions have gone to Ismailia today.



Wednesday 3rd February

Returned to camp about 10.30. men spent day cleaning harness and guns. Colonel Hobbs came out at 8AM to inspect our gun pits. Preparing Sundry sketches and schemes during day. Bitterly cold night.














  

No comments:

Post a Comment