Thursday 12 February 2015

12th February 1915


Members of the 10th Battalion lining up for their vaccinations,
after a small pox outbreak at Mena Camp.


Mena Camp
Friday February 12 1915 

We stopped in this morning and at 10.30 we had to fall in and were marched up to the Doctors tent and were told to bare one arm and then were marched in one by one and vaxinated.  This is the second time small pox has broken out up in the Infintry lines so that is why we were done.  At 1.30 pm the teams went out and brought the guns back.  I was sent out to put on the brake coming down hills.  Some of the chaps that sent over to the bank for a draft got a note to say that it was awaiting them at bank Cairo so they are going in tomorrow to draw it.  I will get some of my debts payed now otherwise I am stony broke.  Got a few remounts this evening.



Friday 12th February

This date seems familiar. Today I reach 40 years. I wonder where I shall be next 12th February and what my experiences will have been during the year. Very pleased to receive cable from Nell conveying birthday greetings and also informing me that Alvord had been accepted for the R.A.Navy. Brigade stayed in camp and doctor vaccinated everybody again, small pox having made its appearance among the troops. Selected by Colonel Hobbs with Major Browne and Major King to go tomorrow to Suez to study fortifications there and view the country over which the Turks attacked. Went into Cairo at 7.30, visited the "Kurral", then turned in at Continental Hotel. Fresh draft of horses taken over by Brigade.








 

No comments:

Post a Comment