Saturday 14 February 2015

14th February 1915


'Luna Park' at Heliopolis, mentioned by Billy below.


Mena Camp
Sunday February 14 1915

Was put on cooks mate this morning but after dinner I got a mate to relieve me and I went on leave.  I went over to Heliopolis to the Light Horse camp and saw Jim.  I had to borrow my tram fare over and he had sent 50 piastres over by Bill MacLennon so we had our supper in the dry canteen after which we took a stroll round Heliopolis (or the city of the sun).  It is a fine place so different to Cairo.  All the buildings are big new magnificent places.  There is a luna park there.  A mate and I went down to this some Sundays ago.  Well I took an electric car into Cairo.  Jim couldn’t get off for the night; so I came back into Cairo about 7.30 pm.  I hunted up and down Cairo for some Kodak films but couldn’t get the right size so after a stroll round I got a car out to Mena at about 9.30 pm.



Sunday 14th February

Feel very tired this morning and not much inclined for Church parade. However I attended. Afterwards I gave a little lecturette to the Brigade giving an account of my trip to the Canal. Working on schemes for Tuesday’s shooting. Wrote letters to Nell, Chris, Alvord, Admiralty and Stacy Waddy. Coloured plates for aeroplane signalling. Pow wow with B.C? at night.
 











No comments:

Post a Comment