Tuesday 10 February 2015

10th February 1915


"Ralfe" referred to by Billy below, was 3324 Acting Bombadier
Raymond Vaughan Nelson Ralfe,  step-son of the second Clerk
of the Queensland Parliament’s Legislative Assembly, The Honorable
Charles George Holmes a' Court.  Gunner Ralfe embarked from
Melbourne in December 1914 as a member of the 3rd Field
Artillery Reinforcements.   His brother, Lieutenant Henry Douglas
Eyre Ralfe (above), went on to join the Australian Flying Corps, &
was shot down & killed by German Fighters over France in 1918.


Mena Camp
Wednesday February 10 1915

I was shoved in cooks mate this morning but got relieved after breakfast.  The first Brigade went out to firing practice today and the third Brigade are going out on single mounts to watch their shooting.  I got my old mount and went out with the rest.  It was very good shooting and we were on a nob and could see the batteries firing and the shells bursting and it was very interesting.  Came home and I had to go out to the tram and bring back Cpl. Yeslics horse.  As I was going out I met the reinforcements coming along.  I knew one chap, he was in the same Bat. at Brisbane with me.  When I got back I found that Ralfe was in our tent.  He is Act. Bdr. had a chat to him and told him who I was and we shook hands and he said he would mention me in his letter to home.  I got five letters this evening and later went up to see Norm Milne.  He was in and we had a good chat.  He is a very chatty little cove.  I told him of his brother being up at our farm and he said he had a note some time ago and they said he was going up to our place.

Dates of letters received today.

Letter from Ada dated Jan 7 1915
Letter from Flo dated Jan 15 1915
Letter from Kitty dated Dec 23 1914
Letter from Emily dated Jan 4 1915
Latter from Ada dated Dec 28 1914
Note in Ada’s from Dorothy Jan 7 1915






No comments:

Post a Comment