Saturday 31 January 2015

31st January 1915


On leave days, many of the Battery's men took the opportunity to explore
the surrounds of Mena Camp, including the Pyramids. In the above photo,
Bombadier Alfred Maxfield (left), Driver John Dawson Rich (seated), &
Gunner George Albert Shields (right), of "A" Sub-section of the 7th Battery,
pose astride an ancient statue beneath the Great Pyramid in early 1915.


Mena Camp
Sunday January 31 1915

After stable hour there was church parade so I went to this and went to the Church of England services; it suits me as well as any other.  Half holiday this afternoon and 20% leave given to the battery.  I told the Sgnt to put my name down on the leave list; but when I went up to the office I was cut out as the Sgt Maj. said I couldn’t have it as there has been too any names in for it so that put an end to e trying to get over to the L.H. Camp.  I stopped back and cleaned and stained my leggins and boots etc.  There was a bit of fun this morning.  The Sgt put a horse in the water cart and was going over to the tap to get it filled and the horse bolted and went round and round the tents and lines at a gallop but did no damage and was pulled up after an exciting chase.  There is a route march tomorrow and we are to be up first thing and get everything packed.  Had a great fill of fruits, dates etc.



Sunday 31st January

I dodged Church Parade this morning. Had to make sketches of Bivouacs and letters to write. Wrote Nell and the three boys. Had a sleep this afternoon. Tent very hot. Train Wagons left in our lines in preparation for tomorrow’s March.















No comments:

Post a Comment