Saturday 17 January 2015

17th January 1915


The 2nd Brigade Band, who assisted at the morning's Church Service for the Battery.

Mena Camp
Sunday January 17 1915 

This morning at 2.30 we had an alarm so after getting our gear on we harnessed our horses and turned out on the gun park.  Then the Lieut. Col. came and inspected the Battery with a lamp and we turned in, unharnessed and got to bed again.  After stables in the morning those who wanted to go to church parade went and the remainder got on cleaning the harness.  Well I was just finishing my saddle when the Battery Orderly came and told me I was wanted so up I goes and finds three other bombadiers there so the Major comes along and told us we were not up to the mark in gunnery and that others were better we would be reduced to the ranks, so I says all very good and we four dismissed and then I got my Sgt to parade me up to the Major and I told him that I would very much like a transfer to the Light Horse as I was fairly good on horses and I was a good rifle shot.  I would much better there so he said he would do his best for me. I told him I had a brother there and relations.  Well it is just this way since we left Enoggera.  I don’t think, well say I have been in the gun drill more than a dozen times so others that have been on every other day, well it stands to reason they must be smarter on the gun than I.  Anyway I would sooner be in the L.H. a trooper there is no kneed to get put out about it yet I think it was very shabby trick to play on us.  Anyhow I am a driver and that is the end of it I will go as a gunner if I don’t get a transfer and I will show them a rinkle or two.



Sunday 17th January

Church Service as arranged yesterday. Band of 2nd Brigade assisted. Presbyterian parson officiated. I understand Rabett was married yesterday in Cairo.

Had a good afternoon rest and went to bed early at night.














No comments:

Post a Comment