Thursday 20 November 2014

20th November 1914




Arabian Sea
Friday November 20 1914

We got in sight of the first division this morning, they were a mere spec on the horizon and caught up to them about 3 oclock this evening.  It is said we are going to pass them and go to Aden at full steam ahead.  I wouldn’t be surprised at anything now.  I am on top deck picquet tonight.  I get plenty of it but it is not hard.  I am going to get some photos taken tomorrow.  We are passing the first division as far as I can see, but might only be going to the lead.  I will get the names and the positions of the ships as soon as I get to the Old Dart. 



The A19 Afric, part of the First Australia Convoy & mentioned by Col. Rosenthal below.
[Courtesy of Flotilla Australia]



Friday 20th November

At daylight Australian Convoy and New Zealand Convoy about 15 miles ahead. Lead column formation retained.

Squads at signalling, gun laying, fuze setting, etc. Arranged model range. Ranging in afternoon for all officers.

Oral exam for all the N.C.O.s

"Afric" which has fallen behind ordered to change places with "Ascanius". We are now travelling at 13 knots and have just passed main portion of Australian Convoy. Our orders in this Division are to proceed to Aden to coal, and I understand we are then to steam straight home. As this Division can do 13 knots we should reach England about a week ahead of main Convoy.

Position at noon 10°8’N, 68°0’E. Mileage 269






No comments:

Post a Comment