Wednesday 19 November 2014

19th November 1914




Arabian Sea
Thursday November 19 1914

We are supposed to call in at Aden and if we do we may be there for a week for we are sure to take in coal and water as we are pretty short of both, although we have condencers with us the horses don’t care for the condensed water let alone the men, we are having a jolly good trip of it though there is some grumblers in with us.  I will try to get a transfer into the Light Horse as soon as I get to the Old Dart.  I am sorry I didn’t get in there first.  We do a bit of gun drill of an afternoon sometimes an hour on fuze setting.  I don’t reckon I am a crack at it but I can set the Corrector and range indicator and then set 5 fuzes in 30 seconds to day.  I am trying to learn as much as I can now.  I might not get the chance again.


A N° 80 time & percussion fuze, used with the 18 pound field gun shrapnel shells.
[Courtesy of Wikipedia Commons]


Thursday 19th November

Units at work at Usual Parades. Arranged ranging model for work during afternoon. Made use of Director and Landscape drawing for Officers class in sketching. Ranging during the afternoon with all officers. Myriads of flying fish about the boat all day. Smoke visible ahead of main convoy. Plenty of boxes and other debris floating past us, clearly indicating the path traversed by previous ships. Had a game of bridge tonight with Captain Jopp and Colonel Sutton. This afternoon commenced rehearsal with Double Quartette party. Some very fair voices.

Attended Lieut Urquharts lecture at night. Days run to noon 268 miles. Position at noon 8°58’N, 72°23’E.
 





No comments:

Post a Comment