Saturday 7 March 2015

7th March 1915


Australian troops visiting one of the tombs at Saqqara, Egypt 1915.

Sunday 7th March

Capt Waite and Lieut Ellis left camp with me at 7.15AM to visit Sakkara and Memphis, about 3 ½ hours from Camp.

At Sakkara we inspected four tombs. Tomb of Ti, Serapeum or Tomb of the Sacred Bulls, Ptahkotep, and Mera. We found them intensely interesting, the carvings on the walls and the effective colouring being particularly good. The book "The Tombs of Sakkara" by A.A. Quibell gives all details so I will not enter them here. After inspecting these tombs we rode on to the ruins of the Ancient City of Memphis. Very little remains to be seen here, but we saw the two Statues of the Rameses (the great and the 2nd) also a good specimen of Sphinx, and the granite ruins of an Ancient Temple, which must have been very fine in its day. We returned to Camp at 6.PM. An officer of Infantry this evening informed me my old 5" Howitzers were on the way from Australia. Just as I write a man passing my tent said something about a sycamore tree, reminding me that today we saw several fine specimens, doubtless the same species as was climbed by our old friend Zaccheus of Bible history.

Two of our officers were today detailed for Landing and Embarkation duties at Alexandria. Expect we shall soon get a move on now. 







No comments:

Post a Comment