Wednesday 24 December 2014

24th December 1914


Mena Camp, December 1914 - Reflection in a fresh water canal near the A.I.F. Camp,
taken by (or likely featuring) 1737 Gunner William Edward Haseman of the 7th Battery.


Thursday 24th December

I interviewed Major Gellibrand at 8.30 AM re coaling on board "Rangatira", also Capt Matson re drugs for horses urgently required. Major Austin informed me Molasses etc from Alexandria was coming forward, and asked for fatigue party as "consideration". Out all day with Patrols. Passed through an interesting Arab village where we were very curiously observed. Further on we passed a Police station, belonging to Coast Guard Service in preventing smuggling.

Here there were Soudanese officials with their wives, all as black as pitch. Came back at 4PM very tired. Practised helio work with moving stations. Discovered a man in the B.A. Column who is a professional artist, employed on the Bulletin Staff I understand. He is acting as a Patrol. I must secure him for Brigade head Quarters. Sent letter to Philp informing him I could give him a place as Corporal on head Quarters. I hope he can come here. Brigade signallers working under Capt Mackworth in helio station work. Signallers from 7 to 8PM, after that a free night.

Major Browne bought yesterday for me a dozen very good pictures of Cairo and surrounds.





No comments:

Post a Comment